2 minute read.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that the 80s has a hell of a lot to answer for. So, scrunchie your up perm into a high pony, pull your legwarmers up over your spandex athleisurewear (in any appropriate shade of retina-frying neon), EQ the bass on your boom box, and get ready to Jazzercize your way through this blog post.
We’re going to…Celebrate and Bust a Move while Free Fallin’ into the Final Countdo– you know what? You know what?! I am…not sorry. But, I’ll stop with the 80’s puns. I just get a little excited sometimes……It’s Like That…and that’s the way it is and if you don’t understand the references, I am both equally ashamed and slightly envious of the life you have led.
Also, if you’re still reading…thank you!
My top 5 fave things about the 80s:
- The Cube: I mean, come on. Are you even legally allowed to mention anything 80’s related without mentioning the cube? I’m certain it’s a crime punishable by law. And even though technically it was created in the 70’s, it really toook off mid 80s, and is still kind of popular now…there’s apps and everything (it’s not the same)……I actually managed to solve one once. I mean, not on purpose….I still have no idea how it happened…but it happened. And I will spend the rest of my life mentioning it everytime anyone mentions anything cube related.
- The hair: The Jheri curl. The mullet. The perm. The unfathomable pain of looking back at photos of yourself amd thinking…but…why? (or secretly wishing the 80s would make a comeback because you kept all of the attire). The photo induced laughter of your younger loved ones who think the things they’re into now will never go out of style. Ahh, youth.
- The fashion: Power suits coupled with shoulder pads almost as big as the hair. Athleisurewear in any colour as long as it was an unnecessarily bright shade of neon. Geometric print everything…it was… needlessly complicated, and huge! But it was awesome.
- The movies – The A-team, Miami vice, Beetlejuice, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones…you know? Classics. All awesome and have managed to stand the test of time. Although I would love to see a remake of Beetlejuice…(assuming they can do it without detsroying its charm).
- The music: Livin’ on a Prayer, Beat it, Funkytown, I love Rock n Roll. Awesome songs, and yet there are people I know who claim they don’t even know any songs from the 80’s. Or that they don’t listen to any music not created in the past decade (sad, sad lives they live)…but somehow, somehow they know all of the lyrics to Eye of the Tiger, Billie Jean and Tainted Love. So much denial.
- Bonus! Music videos of the 80’s: To be honest a lot of 80’s music videos deserve their own blog posts…multiple blog posts, each. If you haven’t alread, you should go to YouTube now, and watch the following videos:- Opposites attract – Paula Abdul
– Sweet Dreams – Eurythmics
– Take on Me – A-ha
– Rhythm Nation – Janet Jackson
– Thriller – Michael Jackson